Well, done with the lantern, on to something different. I’m actually “working” on several things, but mostly focused on this Linux Mint logo for the moment. I thought it would be a fairly simple thing to put together for a change, and so far, […]
Well, finally done. I think I’ll render a wallpaper for myself, and then move on to something else. I think the flame still looks a little funny, but close enough. Funny to think I started this one in June. I have a few thoughts […]
So, I finally put together an array of boards with a wood texture for the wall, added a hook to hang the lantern from, a simple textured ground plane, changed the light to a pair of area lights, and changed the camera to a […]
Well, I think I got the flame looking about right, just need to change the light to an area light, switch up the background a bit, and maybe add a couple attenuated light sources for a bit of atmosphere, then it should be done.
Not much to show at the moment; I decided to try using media for the flame, but it doesn’t scale easily. Seems to get more insubstantial as it gets scaled down. After looking around, I found a tutorial by Friedrich Loehmueller on how to […]
Well, the last part of the lantern is the flame, and it shouldn’t look like it has a hard surface. So I’m putting together something to try and make it look blurry. I’d read something a while ago about using partially transparent copies of […]
I was poking around Gilles Tran’s website, and found a link pointing to Christof Horman’s website. He is one of the developers of POVRay, and it looks like he still updates his website. Well, he updates his blog regularly; it looks like the rest hasn’t […]
Ok, finally have everything finished, except for the flame. Hopefully I can get that done next week. I’m thinking of using a blob for that, but not completely sure. I’ll have to look over pictures of lantern flames for reference.
Just updated the globe lift arm, now to finish off the catch and the flame, and I’ll be done. If you look in the lower right of the lantern, near the side-pipe, you can see a few red dots marking where the catch cutout […]
Well, more polishing on the lantern; I’m really itching to be done with this, but I don’t want to leave it unfinished. This is for the mechanism that lifts the globe up in order to light the wick. I’ll be adding a wire structure […]
Well, a link to a website that hasn’t been updated in quite a while. It’s called P.O.V.-Place, and while it has no POVRay tutorials, it does have a variety of raytraced images, some of them rather inspiring.
I just finished the handle definition, and added in a small hanging loop at the top. I used the include file I made for the sidepipes to make both of them. Now I just have to add the flame, and make it the light […]
Ok, so it looks kind of wonky, but I just wanted to get something up there at least. I’ll have to add a few points to straighten it all out, but so far, so good.
Well, it took a bit of doing, but I managed to splice a few sets of points together into one series to make the wires that wrap around the globe. I learned a bit about working with cubic splines. I might switch to a […]