Well, done with the lantern, on to something different. I’m actually “working” on several things, but mostly focused on this Linux Mint logo for the moment. I thought it would be a fairly simple thing to put together for a change, and so far, I’m not wrong. Still a bit of work to make sure things get put where they ought to go, and I’d like to eventually just specify the outer dimensions of the thing and have everything determined from that, but that can wait till later.
Now, just have to make the “leaf” shape to go around it.
Well, finally done. I think I’ll render a wallpaper for myself, and then move on to something else. I think the flame still looks a little funny, but close enough. Funny to think I started this one in June. I have a few thoughts on possible variations on this, but I think I’ll wait on that a bit.
So, I finally put together an array of boards with a wood texture for the wall, added a hook to hang the lantern from, a simple textured ground plane, changed the light to a pair of area lights, and changed the camera to a shallow depth of field. I’m just noticing that the flame isn’t there, though. I wonder if it is because I added fog? Checking now… Nope, still not there. I worked too much for it to just disappear. Hopefully I can figure this out.
I still have to modify the light to have a more realistic falloff, and maybe tweak the ambient lighting downward, close to zero probably. At least it’s looking close to done. Update: turns out that it was one or both of the planes I had added; they were not specified as hollow, and the media was apparently inside one or both of them, so it wouldn’t show up.
Well, I think I got the flame looking about right, just need to change the light to an area light, switch up the background a bit, and maybe add a couple attenuated light sources for a bit of atmosphere, then it should be done.
Not much to show at the moment; I decided to try using media for the flame, but it doesn’t scale easily. Seems to get more insubstantial as it gets scaled down. After looking around, I found a tutorial by Friedrich Loehmueller on how to do just that.
I was poking around Gilles Tran’s website, and found a link pointing to Christof Horman’s website. He is one of the developers of POVRay, and it looks like he still updates his website. Well, he updates his blog regularly; it looks like the rest hasn’t been touched in a few years. He does have a decent POVRay section, including some tutorials.
Ok, finally have everything finished, except for the flame. Hopefully I can get that done next week. I’m thinking of using a blob for that, but not completely sure. I’ll have to look over pictures of lantern flames for reference.
Just updated the globe lift arm, now to finish off the catch and the flame, and I’ll be done. If you look in the lower right of the lantern, near the side-pipe, you can see a few red dots marking where the catch cutout will go.
Well, more polishing on the lantern; I’m really itching to be done with this, but I don’t want to leave it unfinished. This is for the mechanism that lifts the globe up in order to light the wick. I’ll be adding a wire structure between the two blue bits above, and after that there’s only the flame to add in.
Well, a link to a website that hasn’t been updated in quite a while. It’s called P.O.V.-Place, and while it has no POVRay tutorials, it does have a variety of raytraced images, some of them rather inspiring.
I just finished the handle definition, and added in a small hanging loop at the top. I used the include file I made for the sidepipes to make both of them. Now I just have to add the flame, and make it the light source. I can think of a couple other possible things to tweak, but I’m really itching to start on something new finally. And just realized that there is still that mechanism to lift the globe is still not in.
Well, it took a bit of doing, but I managed to splice a few sets of points together into one series to make the wires that wrap around the globe. I learned a bit about working with cubic splines. I might switch to a b-spline just to see if it’s a bit straighter than cubic. Another thought; it might be good to put all the points into an array before feeding that into the sphere sweep object. That would make it possible to tweak individual points later.